Saturday, May 30, 2009

Castro for Broadway?

Last night after Omir Santos' heroics won the game for the Mets, Omar traded Ramon Castro to the White Sox for RHP Lance Broadway thus ensuring that Omir and Brian Schnider will be the Mets' catchers from here on out. Lance Broadway was a former top prospect in the White Sox organization who has not put up good numbers. The good thing about him is that he has a good GB/FB rate at 1.70 for his minor league career. Now as for right now I have to say I do not like the trade. Maybe this could turn out to be another Maine type of trade where Omar picks up a former top prospect who fell out of favor and then can turn it around with the Mets. However until we get there I cannot approve of the trade. Is it possible that Omir is a late bloomer offensively and has finally come into his own? Yes, of course it's possible. But likely? No. He is 28 years old and has never put up an OPS more than .700 other than this year whereas Castro has a career OPS of .729. Omir may be a better defender but I don't feel like the difference in their defense is enough to justify the trade. The front office thinks that his defense and his ability to call a game makes him so valuable. Even with the good year he is having so far his OBP is still only .306. That is not good by any stretch of the imagination. I hope that I am wrong and he has finally turned a corner and will continue to be good for the rest of the year. I also hope that Broadway turns out be another John Maine-type of deal. Prove me wrong guys. Please.

No comments: